Tuesday 27 August 2013

No Poo

I bet that title caught your attention! Relax, this post has got absolutely nothing to do with bodily functions and everything to do with the road to Rapunzel status.

No Poo, Co-Shampoo, Co-Wash, Co-Rinse. These terms all mean the same thing; Cleansing your hair with conditioner instead of shampooing. I know this concept might seem rather strange to  many of you reading this but stay with me, I shall explain.

Remember when we talked about keeping hair and scalp clean to encourage growth? Remember we also talked about the the horrible sulphates in shampoos that strip hair of all its natural oils leaving it feeling dry and and sometimes leading to breakage? Well, the way to get around this problem is co- washing. 

Most conditioners contain cleansing properties; enough to clean you hair along with the act of wetting/rinsing and massaging the hair.

The process is pretty simple

Step 1 - Wet hair
Step 2 - Apply conditioner, make sure the hair is covered from root to tip
Step 3 - Using the pad of your fingers, gently yet thoroughly massage your hair and scalp just as you would when shampooing.
Step 4 - Comb hair starting from the tips, up to the roots.
Step 5 - Rinse
Step 6 - Repeat if desired

For me, Co washing is not a complete replacement to shampooing. It only allows that I can wash my hair regularly but still have it healthy and happy. In my hair routine, I try to do a co- wash once every week. I do a shampoo once every two to three weeks and a deep conditioning treatment once every two weeks, depending on how my hair feels.

Something to note

Try to use silicone free conditioners to do co-washes as conditioners containing silicone encourage product build up in hair. Also, whatever conditioner you use does not have to be fancy or expensive. Cheap and cheerful conditioners are more than enough.

(Incase anyone was wondering why shampoos contain Sulphates considering they are so bad for the hair, Sulphates are what allow shampoos be so bubbly and foamy and all rubber dub dubby.)

Ok people, one technique down, many more to go. 

Please share your tips with me! And let me know what your thoughts are on co-washing.
xx








No comments:

Post a Comment